The UC Davis Earth and Planetary Sciences department has funds from the National Science Foundation (S-STEM Program) for undergraduate scholarships of up to $10,000, potentially renewable for multiple years.
Maximum Scholarship Amounts: (based on year in school)
- Sophomore as of Fall, 2022 up to $6,000
- Junior as of Fall, 2022 up to $7,000
- Senior as of Fall, 2022 up to $8,000
- Enrolled in GEL 110A in Summer 2022 up to $1,500
- Enrolled in GEL 110B in Summer 2022 up to $1,500
Deadline: Friday, May 13th, 2022
Online Application - Apply now
- One short essay is required (maximum 2000 characters);
- You must upload an unofficial copy of your transcript. A link to the secure Box.com upload folder is within the application. Unofficial transcripts must be received before the application deadline.
Junior College and Community College students planning to apply for admission to UC Davis in Fall of 2022 (as Geology or Marine and Coastal Science majors in the College of Letters & Science) are encouraged to apply.
All awards are capped at the student’s individual Financial Aid eligibility and may be limited by the availability of funding.
Questions about GeMS Scholarships may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Must enroll at UC Davis and be a full-time student (minimum of 12 units per academic quarter) during the 2022-2023 academic year.
• Summer Field scholarships: Must be declared Geology majors and enroll in GEL 110A and/or GEL 110B in Summer 2022. Summer Field scholarship recipients do not have to be enrolled in 2022-2023 to be eligible for summer field funding (other eligibility requirements apply).
• Must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher as of the end of winter quarter 2022.
• Must demonstrate financial need as determined through the FAFSA.
• Must be US citizens or documented permanent residents.
- The Financial Aid Office will determine your financial eligibility. Only students who have completed a FAFSA application and are eligible for support may receive scholarship funding from this program.
- Scholarship announcements will begin in May of 2022.
- Scholarship recipients not currently enrolled at UC Davis will receive conditional notification of awards, with scholarships contingent on application, admission, and enrollment at UC Davis.
- Academic Year Scholarships will be awarded in three equal, quarterly installments starting in October 2022, with the following exception:
- Students enrolling in the UC Davis Summer Field Course during the summer of 2022 may request to receive their scholarship funding in June of 2022.
- Summer Field Scholarships will be awarded in June 2022
Current GeMS Scholars are encouraged to apply for renewed funding each year, subject to meeting eligibility requirements.
Hawai'i Trip 2022
GeMS Scholars for 2022-2023 are invited to apply for a GeMS capstone field trip to Hawai'i on August 24 to September 1, 2022. Trip costs will be fully covered for GeMS scholars, including travel and a $500 scholarship supplement for field gear and incidental expenses. To apply for the capstone Hawaii trip:
- Eligible students include ANY 2022-23 GeMS scholarship holder (including summer-only scholars)
- After completing your 2022 GeMS application, send a 1-paragraph PDF email attachment to Nicholas Pinter at email@example.com stating that you wish to apply for the trip and, if selected you would be available August 24 to September 1.
- After review and verification of GeMS applications, trip participants will be selected competitively from among Jumpstart (Graduate Student) and GeMS (Undergraduate) awardee
National Science Foundation and UC Davis Earth and Planetary Sciences in partnership with: American River College, Yuba College, San Joaquin Delta College, Solano Community College, Woodland Community College, Napa Valley College, Diablo Valley College, and Sacramento City College