The UC Davis Earth and Planetary Sciences department has funds from the National Science Foundation (S-STEM Program) for undergraduate scholarships of up to $10,000, potentially renewable for multiple years.
Maximum Scholarship Amounts: (based on year in school)
- Sophomore as of Fall, 2024 up to $6,000
- Junior as of Fall, 2024 up to $7,000
- Senior as of Fall, 2024 up to $8,000
- Enrolled in GEL 110A in Summer 2024 up to $1,500
- Enrolled in GEL 110B in Summer 2024 up to $1,500
Deadline: Friday, May 17th, 2024
Online Application - Click here to fill out your application
- One short essay is required (maximum 2000 characters);
- You must upload an unofficial copy of your transcript. A link to the secure Box.com upload folder is within the application. Unofficial transcripts must be received before the application deadline.
The department expects to award 15-25 scholarships in 2024-2025. In the past, over 80% of eligible students who applied got a scholarship!
Junior College and Community College students planning to apply for admission to UC Davis in Fall of 2024 (as Geology or Marine and Coastal Science majors in the College of Letters & Science) are encouraged to apply.
All awards are capped at the student’s individual Financial Aid eligibility and are limited to $10,000 per year total for all scholarship benefits.
Questions about GeMS Scholarships may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Must enroll at UC Davis and be a full-time student (minimum of 12 units per academic quarter) during the 2024-2025 academic year.
• Summer Field scholarships: Must be declared Geology majors and enroll in GEL 110A and/or GEL 110B in Summer 2024. Summer Field scholarship recipients do not have to be enrolled in 2024-2025 to be eligible for summer field funding (other eligibility requirements apply).
• Must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher as of the end of winter quarter 2024.
• Must demonstrate financial need as determined through the FAFSA.
• Must be US citizens or documented permanent residents.
- The Financial Aid Office will determine your financial eligibility. Only students who have completed a FAFSA application and are eligible for support may receive scholarship funding from this program.
- Scholarship announcements will begin in May of 2024.
- Scholarship recipients not currently enrolled at UC Davis will receive conditional notification of awards, with scholarships contingent on application, admission, and enrollment at UC Davis.
- Academic Year Scholarships will be awarded in three equal, quarterly installments starting in October 2024, with the following exception:
- Students enrolling in the UC Davis Summer Field Course during the summer of 2024 may request to receive their scholarship funding in June of 2024.
- Summer Field Scholarships will be awarded in June 2024
Current GeMS Scholars are encouraged to apply for renewed funding each year, subject to meeting eligibility requirements and competitive review.
Iceland Capstone Geoscience Trip 2024
GeMS Scholars for 2024-2025 are invited to apply for a GeMS capstone field trip to Iceland from August 6-15, 2024. Trip costs will be fully covered for GeMS scholars, including travel and up to a $500 scholarship supplement for field gear and incidental expenses. To apply for the capstone Iceland trip:
- Eligible students include ANY 2024-25 GeMS scholarship holder
- After completing your 2024 GeMS application, send a 1-page PDF email attachment to email@example.com stating that you wish to apply for the trip and, a list of geoscience classes you've taken, that you are available August 6-156, and have a passport or will have one by that date.
- After review and verification of GeMS applications, trip participants will be selected competitively from among Jumpstart (Graduate Student) and GeMS (Undergraduate) awardees.
National Science Foundation and UC Davis Earth and Planetary Sciences in partnership with: American River College, Yuba College, San Joaquin Delta College, Solano Community College, Woodland Community College, Napa Valley College, Diablo Valley College, and Sacramento City College