...a more diverse, equitable and inclusive community through the evaluation and improvement of department practices....
The UC Davis Earth and Planetary Sciences Anti-Racism Action Committee (ARAC) commits to the practice of anti-racism by continuously seeking to create a more diverse, equitable and inclusive community through the evaluation and improvement of department practices that contribute to racist outcomes. The department’s efforts promote the recruitment, retention, and personal and professional success of geoscientists from underrepresented minoritized groups, including BIPOC, at all career stages.
The Anti-Racism Action Committee is charged with proposing actions to curtail institutional racism that arises out of department structures, curriculum, and culture. Our overarching process is to:
- Identify structures and practices that contribute to racism in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences.
- Research documented solutions to racist outcomes in academic departments.
- Propose changes to the EPS Chair for implementation in the Department.
- Facilitate the implementation of recommended changes.
- Share our outcomes with other departments and interested people.
The ARAC was established in June 2020, with broad participation from undergraduate and graduate students, post-docs, academic professionals, and faculty. The committee has established standards for the content of recommendations, including referenced documentation of how and why proposed changes are expected to reduce structural racism. While the main focus of the committee is on making specific recommendations, individual members are also using the discussions to address other issues, such as increasing transparency for departmental processes and soliciting ideas and feedback from community members. Community members are also assisting in some of the efforts.
The status of ARAC's ongoing work is indicated below as:
- In-progress - ARAC is currently working to prepare the proposal
- Approved - ARAC has voted on and approved the proposal
- Implemented - ARAC has completed the actions defined in the proposal
- Implemented (Pending Faculty Approval) - ARAC completed necessary actions and sent the proposal to the faculty for adoption.
- Faculty Adopted - The proposal was sent to the faculty and the faculty adopted the proposal.
ARAC Glossary: a list of definitions for terms found in the proposals put forth by the Anti-Racism Action Committee (ARAC). ARAC is committed to evolving our terminology based on current literature and community feedback.
Comments to the ARAC
Ideas, feedback, comments and/or resources are welcomed by the UC Davis EPS Anti-Racism Action Committee (ARAC).
- ARAC Feedback Form. Contributions can be anonymous or you can include your name. Everything input here will go to Dawn Sumner as the chair of the ARAC. She will distribute the information to the rest of the committee as appropriate. Note that information provided here should not be considered confidential. If you wish to provide feedback on how Dawn is doing, you can contact the chair of the department.
- email@example.com. Feedback may also be submitted via email.