Studying, interning or volunteering abroad is an excellent way to explore the world while fulfilling requirements towards your degree.
Check the approved MCS major credit for UC Davis and UCEAP Study Abroad classes.
Consider taking major courses or General Education courses abroad. Fitting in a global experience takes a little bit of planning ahead but is well worth it
Visit the Global Learning Hub to find programs that fit your interests, confirm application deadlines and prerequisites, and to explore the many funding opportunities and scholarships available. Visit your major advisor to pre-approve major credit for a study abroad class, and your College advisor for General Education credit.
UC Davis Courses Abroad
- Mathematics and Culture in Berlin – Berlin, Germany (UC Davis Summer Abroad): MAT 21B, MAT 198
- The MCS major requires MAT 16B or 17B or 21B.
- Bio Sci 2A on the Emerald Isle – Cork, Ireland (UC Davis Summer Abroad): BIS 2A, BIS 198
- The MCS major requires BIS 2A.
- Bio Sci 2B in Dublin – Dublin, Ireland (UC Davis Summer Abroad): BIS 2B, BIS 198
- The MCS major requires BIS 2B.
- Genetics — The Global Language of Biology – Vienna, Austria; Brno, Czech Republic; Cambridge, UK; Stockholm, Sweden (UC Davis Summer Abroad): BIS 101, MCB 198
- The MCS major’s focus area in Marine Ecology and Organismal Biology requires BIS 101.
- Life Sciences in Japan – Kusatsu (near Kyoto), Japan (UC Davis Summer Abroad): BIS 102, BIS 198
- The MCS major’s focus area in Marine Ecology and Organismal Biology requires BIS 102+103 or BIS 105.
UC Education Abroad Program
Search for global courses and experiences taught through the University of California System at UCEAP. Once you find a program, please reach out to your Major Advisor or Faculty Advisor for approval to count the course toward your major requirements.
- Take a year of Physics in one summer at one of many universities around the world.
- UCEAP Summer applications open October 1st and fill up fast, so be sure to apply as soon as it opens.
- Take a year of Organic Chemistry in one summer at the University College Dublin in Ireland.
- Marine Biology & Terrestrial Ecology at the University of Queensland – Brisbane, Australia (UC Education Abroad Program)
- The Faculty Advisors have pre-approved the “Marine Biology” course to count for EVE 114, the Field Requirement, and the Research Requirement (13 upper division UC quarter units).
Feel free to search for an Independent Program that fits your interests. If you would like major credit for courses taken through an independent program, talk to your Faculty Advisor.
- The School for Field Studies: Spend a semester or summer abroad taking classes and conducting research relating to local environmental issues. The School for Field Studies has programs around the world where you can study ecosystems, biodiversity, wildlife management, marine resources, or many more areas relating to the environment and conservation.
- Wildlands Studies: Participate in a field studies program working on environmental and conservation projects, run through Western Washington University. Talk to your Faculty Advisor about the possibility of counting a course or research project toward your major.
- Caribbean Ecosystem Field Studies: This field program takes place in the Caribbean, where students will get the opportunity to snorkel or SCUBA dive in the Caribbean coral reefs. It’s offered Winter break or Summer and is run through the University of Montana at Missoula Environmental Studies Program, where students will take their ENST 391 course for 3 semester units (4.5 quarter units). Talk to your Faculty Advisor about the possibility of counting this course toward your major.
Other Field Experiences
- The UC Davis Washington Program provides students with opportunities to take classes or intern in Washington, D.C for a quarter.
- Washington Program Washington Program Marine and Coastal Science Internships
- Talk to your Faculty Advisor about the possibility of counting a class taken with the Washington Program toward your major.
- Gain experience in policy and complete an internship in your chosen field with the UC Center Sacramento program.
- The UC Natural Reserve System Field Studies Program allows students to spend Spring, Summer, or Fall at NRS reserves, taking a course in the field and earning upper division units towards their degree.
- The Marine and Coastal Science Faculty Advisors have pre-approved the Field Studies Program in UCNRS California Ecology and Conservation to count for 1 focus or breadth class in Oceans and the Earth System, the Field Requirement, and the Research requirement.