The requirements posted here are provided for your convenience; classes are subject to change. Official Minor requirements are available in the online UC Davis General Catalog prepared by the Office of the University Registrar. Disclaimer Notice.
Students majoring in Geology may elect to complete a minor in Geophysics, Environmental Geology, and Oceanography. They may not complete a minor in Geology. Students majoring in Marine and Coastal Science may elect to complete any of these minors except for Oceanography.
Geophysics is the study of the physical properties and processes within and surrounding the Earth and other planets. Many problems in the Earth and Planetary Sciences require geophysical techniques for study. The minor in geophysics is designed for those Geology majors and non-Geology majors, who are interested in pursuing a graduate or professional career in geophysics, and/or those who desire a career in petroleum or civil engineering or environmental industries. The minor in geophysics may be particularly useful to those in related technical fields such as mathematics, physics, material science and engineering, who wish to apply their skills to problems in Earth science. The geophysics minor is available to Geology majors.
Geophysics Minor | Courses 18-20 total units
These Geophysics minor requirements go into effect Fall 2021
Choose 4 courses (12 units)
- GEL 131 Risk: Natural Hazards & Related Phenomena (3 units)
- GEL 160 Geological Data Analysis (3 units)
- GEL 161 Geophysical Field Methods (3 units)
- GEL 162 Geophysics of the Solid Earth (3 units)
- GEL 163 Planetary Geology and Geophysics (3 units)
Choose additional courses from above and/or from the following list to reach at
least 18 total units for the minor.
- GEL 101 Structural Geology (3 units)
- GEL 116N Oceanography (3)
- GEL 130 Non-Renewable Natural Resources (3 units)
- GEL 134 Environmental Geology & Land Use Planning (3 units)
- GEL 142 Basin Analysis (3 units)
- GEL 147 Geology of Ore Deposits (4 units)
- GEL 149 Geothermal Systems (3 units)
- GEL 150A Physical & Chemical Oceanography (4 units)
- GEL 150B Geological Oceanography (3)
- GEL 156 Hydrogeology & Contaminant Transport (5 units)
- HYD 144 Groundwater Hydrology (4 units)
- ESM 100 Principles of Hydrologic Sciences (4 units)
- ECI 175 Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering (4 units)