Your path to a MCS Major
Marine and Coastal Science (MCS) Undergraduate Courses
Many upper division MCS classes are offered once per year or once every other year, so careful planning will help you fit in your preferred electives. Check when each MCS major class is offered.
The Marine and Coastal Science major begins with introductory courses in mathematics, chemistry, physics, biology, and earth sciences. These are followed by core courses in Marine Science. The major requirements provide focus and breadth, so that each student gains mastery in one area and broad exposure to many facets of Marine and Coastal Science. Focus and Breadth areas include: Coastal Environmental Processes, Marine Ecology and Organismal Biology, Marine Environmental Chemistry, or Oceans and the Earth System.
The sample academic plans below are provided for your convenience; classes are subject to change. See your major advisor for help creating a personalized academic plan.
Other General Education courses to consider:
- ANT 131–Ecology & Politics (4 units) GE credit: SS
- ANT 133–Anthropology of Ocean world's (4 units) GE credit: SS, WC, WE
- ARE 142–Personal Finance (3 units). GE credit: SS. Good for non-majors. Offered Fall and Spring quarters.
- ESM/SAS 008–Water Quality at Risk (3 units) GE credit: SE, SL, SS, WE
- HIS 172–American Environmental History (4 units) GE credit: ACGH, AH, SS, WE
- HYD 150—Water Law (3 units) GE credit: ACGH, SS.
- MGT 012Y–Life’s Financial Decisions (3 units) GE credit: QL, SS
- NAS 161—California Indian Environmental Policy I (4 units) GE credit: ACGH, DD, SS, WE. No prerequisites. Offered Spring of odd-numbered years.
- NAS 162—California Indian Environmental Policy II (4 units) GE credit: ACGH, DD, SS, WE. No prerequisites.
- POL 12B–Climate Change and Politics (4 units) GE credit: SS, WE
- SAS 018—GIS & Society (3 units) GE credit: QL, SE, SL, SS, VL.
- STS 001—Introduction to Science, Technology & Medicine Studies (4 units) GE credit: SS, WE. Learn how society and science affect each other.
- STS 011—Science on Trial: Law, Science, & Technology in the United States (4 units) GE credit: ACGH, SS. An introduction to law and science in America.
- STS 101—Data & Society (4 units) GE credit: QL, SS. Learn to analyze and visualize data about some of today's most challenging social problems. Add data analysis to your portfolio of skills.
- STS 180—Topics in Science & Technology Studies (4 units) GE credit: SS.