The UC Davis Earth and Planetary Sciences department combines academic excellence with a rewarding professional and personal experience.
The Earth and Planetary Sciences (EPS) Graduate Program prepares students to be valued team members in their chosen careers and in their communities. Our program brings together formal education to learn advanced theoretical and practical knowledge, mentorship in research-driven scholarly inquiry to develop exceptional problem-solving, critical-thinking, communication skills, and service to society through generation of knowledge, teaching and community engagement. We provide a learning environment that respects the individual goals of our students by encouraging self-directed research projects, supporting professional development for diverse career paths, promoting community-based learning, and encouraging a practice of life-long learning and knowledge-sharing. To ensure equal access to and benefit from this learning environment, we endeavor to offer strong financial support for all of our graduate students.
Earth and Planetary Sciences Graduate Program
"We think that educating and training our graduate students is arguably the most important activity we are engaged in here in the department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, and we take this responsibility very seriously (while having a good time doing it!)."
– Sandy Carlson
UC Davis Earth and Planetary Sciences Graduate Program Application Information
- How to apply to the Earth and Planetary Sciences Graduate Program (see the latest updates from the Office of Graduate Studies.
- Financial Support and Employment: Learn about funding packages for graduate students, employment as a TA or GSR, and internal and external fellowships.
Earth and Planetary Sciences Department Information
- Graduate Advisors and Committees: Students have a number of advisors, mentors, and committees to guide them in their graduate degree.
- Thesis Advisors: Your primary mentor as a graduate student.
- Research Groups: The department has five research groups spanning a variety of fields in earth science.
- Graduate Student Directory: A list of current graduate students.
- Graduate Student Honors and Awards
Earth and Planetary Sciences Graduate Program Information
- Graduate Degree Requirements: View the official requirements and path to a graduate degree.
- GEL Graduate Courses: View all the courses offered in the department as well as the current annual course offerings.
- Graduate Student Resources: View departmental and campus-wide resources for academic and personal success.